Thursday, April 28, 2011

Intercession

Our Seder table was full this year.

Three families: six adults and fifteen children.

So many interruptions, distractions, explanations and corrections, but it was worth it. There is something sacred about entering into holy rememberances with fellow saints. During the festival meal, seeing all the foreshadowing and types of Christ in the Passover, we marvelled that so many Jews do not see how Jesus fulfill the prophecies of the Messiah.

We see because because God has given our souls the vision. How many prayers and petitions were offered to God that we have that revelation? In my case, my parents, my grandparents, and my great-grandmother all uttered appeals for my salvation, even before I had a congnitive awareness of my need for it.

It put me in mind of how in the past couple years I had knowlege intellectually of my need for refreshing and reviving from God, but I did not push hard for it. I did not press into what a refreshed person would have obviously seen, diagnosed, and acted upon... that I needed face-time with God. Revival begins with prayer. Often times it is

the prayer of one

that leads to

the revival of another.

Isn't this the definition of intercession; interposing or pleading on behalf of another person? Christ is THE Intercessor. Are we not to imitate Him? At this moment in my Christian walk, I see clearly, I am pushing hard into God, and pressing for the finish line. I see clearly. That places me in the perfect position to intercede for others. I know what they are missing. I have missed it before myself. I am experiencing the fullness, but can remember the feeling of empty. Can I now sit back, satisfied?

No, this is my time to plead on behalf of others who because of their weariness or emptiness or blindness are not pleading for themselves.

I was impressed with this thought after our Passover meal: to simply wonder at a person's lack without acting to help is the person James writes about (2:15-16), "If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, and one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?"

I don't personally know any of my spiritual siblings that are lacking physical food, but I do know some who are not being nourished on the Word and withering from spiritual malnutrition. I may not know one who lacks physical clothing, but I know MANY who have not put on the spotless garment of Christ. These things that are so much more needful. Will I dismiss them with momentary thoughts and speculation, or will I give them those things which are needful: My pleas on their behalf to the One who satisfies completely.



My faith work of the moment: I Timothy 2:1,3 - "Supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men...for this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved and to come unto the knowlege of the truth."

No comments:

Post a Comment