Thursday, April 28, 2011

Greatest Hits

Skimming through Ann's book, looking for the succint truths that I want to have before my spiritual eyes throughout my day, here is my list of "Greatest Hits" for chapters 7 & 8. God, help these truths to hit me in a way that gives You greatest glory.

Chapter 7:


"Christ incarnated in the parent is the only hope of incarnating Christ in the child..."


"Obvious and immediate transfigurations exhilirate the faith, but the faithful can forget transfigurations, faces that once changed appearances. We betray Who we know. Didn't Peter?"


"You would be very ashamed if you knew what experiences you call setbacks, upheavals, pointless disturbances, and tedious annoyances really are. You would realize that your complaints about them are nothing more nor less than blasphemies - though that never occurs to you. Nothing happens to you except by the will of God, and yet [God's] beloved children curse it because they do not know it for what it is. -Jean-Pierre de Caussade"


"[Do I believe] that Satan's way is more powerful, more practical, more fulfilling, in my daily life than Jesus' way? Why else get angry?"


"Who's the real sinner... with the stinking pig in temple?"

"Can I be so audacious? To expect to see God in these faces when I am the blasphemer who complains, who doesn't acknowlege this moment for Who it is?"


"I look for the ugly beautiful, count it as grace, transfigure the mess into joy with thanks and eucharisteo leaves the paper, finds way to the eyes, the lips."

"I am Hagar lost with boy... I want to step back, flee. Who can witness the dying, but how can I leave him? 'Then God opened her eyes and she saw a well of water' (Gen. 21:19 NIV)....What insanity compels me to shrivel up when there joy's water [is] to be had here?"



"You have to want to see the well before you can drink from it. You have to want to see joy, God in the moment."


"Love is not blind; love is the holy vision."

Chapter 8:

"Worry is the facade of taking action when prayer really is." - I love the idea here, but isn't this a hanging participle, or somthing of the sort?! :-)


"Anything less than gratitude and trust is practical atheism."


"...I know I can't experience deep joy in God until I deep trust in God."


"Trust is the bridge from yesterday to tomorrow, built with planks of thanks. Remembering frames up gratitude. Gratitude lays out the planks of trust. I can walk the planks -from known to unknown- and know: He holds."


"...gratitude is not only the memories of our heart; gratitude is a memory of God's heart and to thank is to remember God."


"Jesus! [The Father] gave Him up for us all. If we have only one memory, isn't this one enough?"


"I either take the 'what is it' manna with thanks, eat the mystery of the moment with trust, and am nourished another day, -or refuse it . . . and die."


"I clutch soul bread and a Perfect Love that knows no end."

No comments:

Post a Comment