Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Silver Linings or Refined Treasures

As I am purposefully practicing the grace of giving thanks, having been spurred to such action by Ann Voskamp's book One Thousand Gifts, I had my own little personal epiphany last night.

I was tired and a bit weary, nothing overwhelming, just regular life at the end of the day. I was aware that my attitude was stuggling and I thought to put to use the good advice of giving thanks. When one of my munchkins got up - again - and asked for some water, I found myself leaning over the sink, filling her little sippy cup and thinking to myself, "Well, I suppose I can be grateful that my children like to drink water, some children only like juice or pop." It was a slim sliver of a silver lining.

And then I began to think on it some more. I did not want my thanksgiving to be ridiculous. Not that giving thanks for small things is ridiculous, but I don't want to be this chipper, bubbly optimist in the face of all odds. If our car breaks down, I don't want "to look at the silver lining" that at least it wasn't our house that burned down. After all, the car IS more easily replaced. This kind of thinking to easily deteriorate into a "No matter how bad things get, THEY COULD ALWAYS BE WORSE" mindset. Can something be accurate and not truthful? Maybe. The "It could always get worse" mindset (or perhaps mindtrap) can be accurate, but it robs God of his deserved glory and us of our joy.

As I truly look at my day, I don't want to see the silver linings. I don't want to be satisfied finding the doggie scraps. I am on the lookout for the refined treasures. For the feast. He prepares a table for me, can I find it? (Ps. 23) I want to give thanks for the circumstances, knowing that every individual circumstance is from GOD'S HAND... and HE IS FOR ME. My day, my cup, is full to overflowing with moments that are ordained for my sanctifying, that can lay up treasure for me in heaven. This is the life for me. TRUE THANKSGIVING.

No comments:

Post a Comment